Tips For Proper Retainer Care
Just like any appliance, you’ll want to take excellent care of your retainer once you’ve completed treatment. Below are some tips for how to keep your retainer clean and in good condition. If you have any questions or have any problems with your retainer, please contact our team right away.
- Wear your retainer at all times, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and dial soap and cold water. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing your retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. RetainerBrite or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing. Please note that it must say “safe for orthodontic appliances”.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should always be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care, they will last for years!
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, washing machine, and napkins.